about me

My photo
Denver, Colorado, United States
i'm 33. i live with my husband, baby daughter 2 dogs and 1 kitty. i'm a chemical engineer with an MBA and work in technical sales. i tend to bite off more than i *think* i can chew and end up with a full bulging mouth for awhile before i can finally swallow. i thrive in chaos, but strive for order.

12.26.2008

resolutions

j and i have decided to have a little competition.. since he can't seem to quit smoking, and i can't seem to lose 15 pounds.

at first, it was going to be the first one to their goal would get a special prize and the looser would have to do something embarrassing.

but i couldn't think of a prize good enough, or a punishment embarrassing enough to actually motivate me. i have been trying to lose 15 pounds for years, obviously i have a hard time finding something to motivate me. the standard ones like looking better, feeling better, etc just don't seem to be enough. darn high self esteem and boyfriend that loves me just the way i am. plus, i would rather j stopped smoking anyway.

so then we thought that we could make it a mutual goal and plan a prize for both of us - but we don't get it until we both reach our goal. that way, we can encourage each other and it's just a win-win situation. i think we're going to plan an elaborate weekend trip or something. we have a week to work out all the details, since the challenge starts on jan 1.

the other thing we want to do in 2009 is get our finances in order. i have decent credit, but a bit of debt.. j has no debt and makes good money, but has lousy credit. we're going to attempt to live on just his salary in 2009 and use mine to pay off debt and save. it's going to be tighter than we're used to, but at least his salary covers all our bills and a bit of spending money for both of us. i think i'll do ok with it, but j is an impulse-shopper that doesn't keep track of things too well so we'll see. our spending money is going to be cash, so as long as he remembers to go to the atm every week, we should be fine.

i love the new year.. fresh starts and new changes.. things always seem so promising!

1 comment:

  1. The work competition I was in REALLY motivated me because if I didn't lose weight then I could let my team down and potentially cost my teammates $50 each and the other reason it was so motivating was because it was kinda public. Everyone was always asking us how much we'd lost and if we were going to win it. I didn't want to be the only one that didn't lose anything. Making my goals "public" made me want to try harder to prove that I'm not motivated or lazy or that I can't achieve a goal. Basically, this is the same thing helping me be successful with the weight loss blog. I don't want to fail in front of so many people.
    I still have SO much to lose and for extra motivation I have the trip and $200 on the line.
    I haven't narrowed down my resolutions completely but I'd like to get together with friends more based on MY effort with calls and emails and invites. The other one is something to do with learning a new hobby. I'm thinking glass blowing.

    ReplyDelete